Getting a good night’s sleep is the foundation for good physical and emotional health, but it’s not always something that’s so easy to do. Whether you’re stressed out about the news or overwhelmed with chores, it seems like every time your head hits the pillow, your mind begins to race. Before you know it, it’s 3 a.m. and you’ve started scrolling through Instagram anxiously waiting for the sun to come up. We’ve all been there.
If you’re looking for ways to put an end to this trend, you’re in the right place. We’re sharing our best tips for improving the quality of your sleep—from creating a relaxing ambiance to setting yourself up for sleepy success early on in the day.
1. The setting is everything
One of the easiest and most effective things you can do to improve your sleep is redesign your bedroom. No, we’re not talking about a full-fledged remodel here. With just a few organizational tricks and a keen eye, you can create the sleeping sanctuary you’ve always wanted.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Declutter everything. Not only does clutter create a messy appearance, but it also can create chaos in your mind which can make it hard for you to get to sleep—remember the racing thoughts? When it comes to organizing your room, it’s time for a total overhaul. From the closet to visible surfaces, your room should be as spotless as possible if you want it to be conducive to high-quality snoozing.
- Go for a minimalist vibe. While you’re re-organizing, think carefully about what you want to have on display and how the colors, shapes, and tones of your trinkets will affect your relaxation mode.
- Invest in good bedding. We really can’t overstate the importance of quality bedding when it comes to quality sleep. A set of cooling sheets can work wonders for the warm-blooded snoozer while the stressed-out sleeper could really benefit from the comfort of a weighted blanket. To find the right solution for you, consider the obstacles that get in the way of you and your beauty rest.
2. Routines can be relaxing
There are two types of routines everyone needs in their life: a daytime routine and a nighttime routine. The daytime routine is important for obvious reasons—earning a living, being productive, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. But keeping up a nighttime routine is just as essential!
Taking the time to do some bedtime yoga, meditation, or read a chapter in your book can help you unwind and set your body and mind into relaxation mode before you hit the hay. What’s more, these activities can also minimize stress throughout your life, not just while you’re trying to get some rest.
3. Natural sleep-aids help, too
Wellness is all about finding a holistic approach that’s tailored to your unique needs. For most people, not just one of these solutions is going to solve sleep issues, so it’s a good idea to incorporate a variety of methods to find the best results.
Natural sleep aids are something you can add to your sleepy time efforts. There are many kinds of sleep aids to choose from, including melatonin tablets, valerian root supplements, and more recently, CBD. Yep, it’s the non-psychoactive component of cannabis and among other health benefits, it can also help you sleep. From CBD gummies for sleep to sleepy time tinctures and teas, there are plenty of ways to take advantage of CBD without doing any harm to your respiratory system.
The great thing about natural sleep aids is that they’re not habit-forming like many other options on the market, so they won’t make it harder to sleep when you stop taking them.
4. Distractions are detrimental to dreamland
In addition to clutter, stress, and uncomfortable bedding, noise and light could also be affecting your sleep. Thankfully there are so many ways you can make these nuisances fade into the background:
- Invest in noise-cancelling earbuds
- Block out brightness with blackout blinds for sleeping
- Try masking sounds with a white noise machine
In search of a stellar snooze? Just heed these four tips:
- Redesign and declutter your room
- Maintain a daytime and evening routine
- Try natural sleep-aids
- Eliminate distractions