Getting everything we want might seem like an impossible task, but truth be told you can get everything you want – the house, the car, and the salary. You just have to be willing to go after it. It sounds a bit clique, doesn’t it, but the only way to get what you want is to go after it.
Too often, you’re the one standing in your way of getting what you want – you’re too afraid to ask for that raise or promotion, you can’t stop going out to eat to save money, and you don’t see your worth. It’s these things that are keeping you from getting everything that you want.
The first step is to determine what it is that you want and then make the necessary steps towards achieving it. Taking action is by far the most difficult aspect. It’s easy to make excuses and toss blame, but ultimately it comes down to you.
Here’s how you can change things,
1. Ask. It’s truly that simple. You cannot get things that you do not ask for. But building up the courage to ask for that raise you know that you deserve or going after the position is difficult when you have a fear of rejection or don’t believe that you’re good enough. If you don’t clearly express what you want, then you cannot get it. People are not able to read your mind, so it’s important that you go after what you want and clearly and confidently ask for it.
2. Stop relying on other people. When you have a fear of others’ opinions of you, it causes you to miss out. If you’re like most people, you play the potential scenarios in your head of what will happen if you publish that article, making phone calls or sending emails, going after the same position as your co-worker, miss out, or display your artwork.
This prevents you from advancing, gaining confidence and experience, and keeping you from getting what you want. Remember this: Nobody’s opinion of you is more important than your own.
3. No more apologizing. You don’t have to apologize for asking for something you want, for going after something you want, or for saying no to the things that prevent you from getting the things that you want. This is closely tied to worrying about what other people will think of you and lacking confidence in yourself. Apologizing isn’t being polite; it’s you lacking confidence, and it makes you look weak.
4. Create your own reality. More than likely you have a vision for your future. Whether it’s to have the time and money to vacation, buy the house with a pool, or start your own business. No matter what you see in your future, it all begins with a plan and then going after it. If you want to start that business, look into ways that you can do it. Research starter loans, work on things when you get home from work, or find a partner. You want the house and car to make sure you’re saving money and building your credit.
The only way to get these things is by taking the necessary steps towards achieving them.
5. Don’t Be Afraid Of Change. Comfort and convenience is the wall that is preventing you from obtaining the things that you want. We tend to get comfortable in our routine. But this is exactly what is keeping you from achieving your goals, desires and creating your happiness. You have to do the things that will put you one step closer to the things that you want. If what you are doing on a daily basis isn’t putting you one step closer to what you want, then you need to change things up. Don’t be afraid of getting out of your comfort zone because that is where growth and change come from.
You’ll never get what you want if you continue to make excuses, hold onto the fear of asking for things or of what others think. The only way to do it is by putting yourself out there, taking a chance, and getting out of your head and asking.