The origins of using cutlery in fancy occasions can be traced back to the 16th century when families of upper class standing in Italy would bring their utensils in dinners. It has become a practice across Europe as it symbolizes social class and style.
Today, the boom of food industrialization in the United States paved the way for producing various cutlery designs and materials to use on special occasions. Party hosts and event organizers usually recommend the usage of fancy plastic cutlery as it is stylish, convenient, cheaper, and versatile. Because of its practical functions, the catering industry and food entrepreneurs continue to patronize these utensils.
The plastic cutlery market is projected to gain a compound annual growth rate of 1.8% in revenue. Further, the market size will register about $2880 million by 2024, from its current profit of $2640 million.
Despite the environmental controversies attached to plastics, most homeowners and businesses continue to patronize these products because of the following functions:
- The fancy plastic cutlery significantly reduces the event’s budget as it costs 90% cheaper than stainless or wooden utensils. It will also save you time to wash the dishes since most kinds are already disposable.
- Parties with more than 50 guests pose difficulties in terms of waste, and subsequently, hygiene control. Used materials have food debris that can pose health implications. As such, plastic wares ensure a higher level of hygienic standards because you can easily replace it with a new one after using it.
- It helps catering businesses and entrepreneurs in large parties because it is lightweight; therefore, more portable and more comfortable to carry.
- Party hosts prefer this because it is usually always available in numerous stores. Unlike with other materials, you will no longer need to reserve bulk orders. Most stores have an abundant supply anytime you need them.
- Event organizers find it easier to create a consistent theme with this type of utensils because they have versatile looks that match with any party theme.
- It is excellent for children’s parties as well because they are more comfortable and safer to use.
- Many plastic utensils now consist of particular materials that make them biodegradable. Thus, they are environment-friendly since they do not adversely impact natural resources and land refills.
The Trend of Disposable Plastics
An increase of environmental consciousness has encouraged businesses to explore possibilities that will allow them to provide convenience for their clients without harming the environment.
Biodegradable plastic utensils are now becoming a trend across food industries. This kind is made of materials that are non-PET (polyethylene terephthalate), and are, therefore, compostable. Many entrepreneurs realize that it is more effective in the long run since it reduces the risks of carbon footprint.
Moreover, plastic manufacturers find out that there are lower levels of resources, like energy and electricity, needed for the production processes. It also has a significantly lesser amount of chemicals, particularly carcinogens, which are harmful when integrated with organic materials. This option does not only conserve the environment but also attract more homeowners and food entities who want to deliver quality but convenient food service.
Plastic cutlery continues to cater to the various needs of clients. Specifically, it is highly recommended for party organizers as it is cost-effective, hygienic, more convenient, and cheaper. Further, technologies enable manufacturers to produce plastic wares that are now safer for the environment.