A side effect is a secondary, typically undesirable effect that a pharmaceutical treatment will present. All medications have side effects, but not all of them are severe and unbearable. This is usually the case with the side effects of alprazolam. Experts assert that they generally clear up in two to four days.
Patients must, however, still not feel discouraged if they experience side effects for more than four days. These adverse effects are usually minor and treatable, even if they take a bit longer to totally disappear. According to RxList, the prevalence of side effects is as follows:
· Drowsiness- 41.0%
· Light-headedness- 20.8%
· Headache- 12.9%
· Dry mouth- 14.7%
· Nausea/vomiting- 9.6%
· Diarrhoea- 10.1%
How to Manage Alprazolam Side Effects
The side effects of alprazolam are considerably tolerable compared to other benzodiazepines used for anxiety. This is one of the reasons why patients opt for this medication, apart from its effectiveness. Its impressive tolerability also allows older patients to make use of the medication.
If patients experience any side effects, they can be managed using these tips:
· Drowsiness – Make sure to get the right amount of sleep when beginning this treatment. This side effect is helpful as it helps patients who have trouble sleeping.
· Headache – A cold compress is best for this side effect, as it provides comfort and support. Patients should keep drinking plenty of water and keep away from computer screens and noise.
· Light-headedness – Experts suggest eating something sugary and lie down until the feeling has passed.
· Dry mouth – Sugar-free gum is by far the best remedy to a dry mouth. It can also take away the bitter taste.
· Nausea – Avoid greasy food and opt for bland foods and snacks. Drink plenty of cold water, and remember not to mix hot and cold food.
Will I Experience a Xanax Hangover?
When benzodiazepines wear off, the user may experience mild withdrawal symptoms. With this medication, it is known as a hangover. Individuals who misuse or abuse this tablet are more likely to experience this. However, it can affect anyone who uses it.
One is more likely to experience hangover effects if:
· First time taking the medication.
· It is being used infrequently.
· The medication has been used for a while, but recently the dose had been changed.
· Continuously missing doses of the medication.
If the medicine is taken correctly without missing doses, the body will become more accustomed to the substance. This means that the side effects of alprazolam will not feel like a hangover.
Steps can be taken to help the body to adjust to the medication faster. These tips will also reduce the risk of side effects.
· Getting enough sleep – It is best to go to bed early when the medication is being taken and plan to sleep later. This allows patients to sleep through some of the hangover symptoms.
· Take the medication exactly as prescribed or recommended – Patients should not take more or less than the advised dose unless specified otherwise by a medical professional. The medication should not be mixed with other contraindicated medications, recreational substances or alcohol.
· Limit the intake of caffeine – Caffeinated drinks can cause anxiety and jitteriness, which will work against the expected effects of this medication. It is best to avoid caffeine until the body has become familiar with the medication.
Why Should I Choose Alprazolam?
This medication is a potent benzodiazepine that was introduced to the market in the mid-1970s. It is among the most frequently prescribed anti-anxiety treatments in the UK and other countries. There were million private prescriptions written for it, which exceeded other benzodiazepines such as Klonopin and Ativan.
So, what are its reasons for being popular? One of the key considerations into understanding why this is so, is to evaluate its effects on individuals when used. Although there are side effects of alprazolam, which is usually mild, the tablet brings positive feelings to sufferers of anxiety.
The treatment is considered by many to be the best solution against anxiety and its symptoms. It can be used for various types of anxiety, such as panic disorder, general anxiety, phobias and social anxiety. In some situations, it can also be used to manage seizures.
For patients who battle anxiety, the tablet creates a sense of relief and relaxation, so they can focus on their lives without these negative feelings plaguing them. When used as directed, it can calm patients in a matter of minutes.
It can also reduce the physiological symptoms that anxiety presents, such as hyperventilation or a racing heart. Additionally, the Xanax side effects are mild and manageable, making the medication widely preferred over other benzodiazepines. Its effectiveness also surpasses other anti-anxiety treatments.
How to Lessen the Possibility of Side Effects of Xanax
This medication has become extensively prescribed for the treatment of anxiety and panic disorders. It does not only treat the symptoms of these conditions; it also treats the condition itself. This helps patients to overcome their anxiety or panic completely.
Benzodiazepines are usually most effective when used on a short treatment plan. Patients usually take them for a period of two to six weeks, as this gives the medication enough time to work against feelings of anxiety and panic.
This time frame should not be exceeded as it may increase the risk of possible Xanax side effects and dependence. Apart from following the time frame and adhering to dosage schedules, patients should also take their medications according to guidelines.
These guidelines include:
· This tablet should be taken wholly by mouth. It must not be broken, crushed or snorted. Taking it in these ways may increase the sedation effects.
· The medication can be taken in conjunction with food or not. However, if the patient is prone to nausea, it is best to have a small, light meal before administration.
· The dosage must be taken at the same time every day with an adequate amount of water. This will help the body get accustomed to the medication and aid in better absorption.
· Forming a medicine schedule encourages positive outcomes.
· The medication can be taken with other treatments under a special schedule. This is with the exception of anticonvulsants, benzodiazepines and other CNS depressants.
· It is not advised to consume high-fat foods while taking this tablet. This can slow the breaking down process, decreasing the absorption rate.