Administering veterinary medicines to your pets can be a nightmare. From the start, applying a substance you don’t know can be unpleasant for you and him. Then, it is up to you the arduous mission of keeping the animal quiet.
Dogs and cats can behave quite differently when you take pet meds online. However, there are some tips that you can follow to calm you down and ensure successful administration.
Keeping your dog or cat comfortable is important.
Like anyone who is ill, pets also need to feel pampered and comfortable. In this sense, they must be kept in a warm and dry space. Also, it is necessary to ensure that water and food are always available. In the case of feed, this must be the most suitable for the animal’s age and appropriate to the existing health problems.
If your dog or cat is sick, it is also essential to give him affection. This will serve to alleviate the discomfort generated either by the disease or by taking veterinary drugs.
The process of administering veterinary medicines in tablet form is identical for dogs and cats. This procedure includes three steps:
- Hold the head of the dog or cat with the snout pointing upwards;
- Open your mouth moderately and place the tablet on your tongue as far back as possible;
- To ensure that the medicine is ingested, you must close the animal’s mouth and observe its swallowing behavior.
Since some animals are suspicious, you need to find techniques to change their laps. One of the most common tricks is to hide the pill in the animal’s food. Some drugs can be dissolved in water, but this should not be done without consulting a veterinarian or pharmacist.
Liquid veterinary drugs also have a specific way of being administered. It involves four steps:
- Purchase, at the veterinary hospital or pharmacy, a syringe to administer the medication;
- Hold your cat or dog’s head;
- Place the syringe between the teeth, in the corner of the animal’s mouth;
- Press the syringe so that the liquid is introduced slowly, preventing it from draining.
Finally, there are two techniques for administering drops to your pet’s ears and eyes.
- Ears: It is necessary to hold the bigeye’s head tightly, move the ear away and pour the drops. Contact of the dropper with the ear should be avoided. Finally, massage the area gently.
- Eyes: First, you should take damp cotton and clean the area around the animal’s eyes. Then you need to lift your head and apply the drops. After application, it is necessary to keep the animal immobile to allow the drug to take effect.
The administration of veterinary drugs is not limited to the moments when your pet gets sick. These tips are especially useful when deworming, essential for the bigeyes to grow healthy and happy.